The Human Resources Department (HRD) of the Office of the Texas Secretary of State (SOS) is located at 1019 Brazos Street in Austin. The HRD posts all job vacancies and makes all job offers.
The job posting will include instructions about additional information that may be required to be submitted with your application. Failure to submit the required information with your application will invalidate your application.
If you have any questions about these procedures, please call the HRD at 512-463-8000 or send us an e-mail. We will be happy to guide you through the process of submitting your application electronically. Hearing impaired individuals may contact our office via Relay Texas at 1-800-735-2989 (TTY/TDD).
How to Apply
- The State of Texas Application for Employment: Applicants should submit The State of Texas Applications for Employment electronically through WorkInTexas (WIT) for each job posting. Local TWC offices and public libraries have computers available to the public.
- Clerical Testing: Some positions may require testing on typing, spelling, numeric filing, and 10-key ability. If testing is required, applicants must contact the HRD to schedule an appointment for testing. Testing is conducted Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. by the HRD. We do not accept test scores from other agencies.
- Writing Sample: Some positions require a writing sample as part of the application. The requirement will be stated in the job posting. If a writing sample is required, please email your writing sample to the HRD. The e-mail subject line and file name must follow this order: Job posting ID_ lastname_firstname__WS (for example 8877961_Doe_John_WS). An electronic application without an accompanying writing sample, if required, will be considered incomplete.
- High school/college transcript: Other special requirements that may be listed in a job posting include high school, unofficial college transcript(s), and/or proof of certification. If you are selected for an interview, you may be required to bring this information to the interview. If a transcript is required, please email your transcript (in PDF format) to the HRD. The e-mail subject line and file name must follow this order: JP#_ Lastname_Firstname__Transcript (for example JP1111_Doe_John_Transcript). An electronic application without an accompanying unofficial transcript, if required, will be considered incomplete.
- Occupational Licenses/Certifications: Applicants applying for a professional position must list all license numbers and/or memberships in the Occupational License/Certification section of the state application. The Summary of Qualifications section of the WorkInTexas resume is available to provide information on professional activities and associations, authorship or articles/books and participation as a CLE presenter or panelist.