A Texas for-profit corporation is created by filing a certificate of formation with the Texas Secretary of State in accordance with Chapter 3 of the Texas Business Organizations Code.
The Secretary of State provides a form for certificate of formation which form meets minimum state law requirements [Form 201]. Online filing of certificate of formation is provided through SOSDirect.
- Visit the Secretary of State Web site for forms and other filing information.
- File and search business documents online using SOSDirect.
- Read Chapter 3 of the Texas Business Organizations Code to learn about corporate filing requirements.
- Corporations doing business in Texas are subject to franchise tax. Find forms, publications, frequently asked questions, and the Franchise Tax Code on the Comptroller Web site.
- Read more about sales tax and other Texas business tax responsibilities.
To review information about other business structures that might suit your needs, return to Step 1: Choose Your Business Structure. Otherwise, continue on to Step 2: Get an Employee Identification Number.